Monday, March 14, 2011

My dumb luck working overtime to leave San Francisco before the storm: Serendipity strikes again

My dumb luck strikes again, serendipity is a good thing to me.  Yesterday we avoided being stuck at the airport overnight because of my dumb luck.  Normally I know my flight schedule backwards and forwards but for some reason I had thought we were flying out at 7 instead of 9:50.  I have two apps on my phone reminding me of departure times and e-mail reminders but for some reason I never bothered looking at it that day.  That is very strange behavior for Nai.  So we hop a cab at 4:15 and head to the airport.  Jon noted that it felt strange to be going when we are suppose to land after ten and Michi txt me wondering why we were going to the airport so early.  I just shrugged it off and halfway to the airport I finally checked my flight app.  I felt stupid for leaving so early.  We could have had lunch at the brewery next door and enjoyed some craft beers for three hours before leaving San Francisco!

We could have stopped and grab lunch on the way or turned back but on the cab ride there, I looked up to see if there was a US Air lounge to hang out in for the next four hours.  It would be fine to be stuck at an airport with lounge access with free food, wine and beer.  I found a list where it had indicated there was one, only to later find out I had inadvertently found false information.  With false information in hand, we happily get to the airport resigned to sitting for four hours in the airport lounge. 

On check in, we find that we couldn’t check our bags in because we exceeded the 4 hour check-in limit.  Crap, but this is where serendipity strikes.  Staring blankly at the terminal saying no bags prior to four hours the Southwest attendant looks at us and says, “your flight is delayed by an hour due to the storm” (later it was delayed by almost three), then she proceeds to ask us “you’re here so early, how would you like to get on an earlier flight going through LAX, you will lose your A position but you will get in a couple hours ahead of your normally scheduled flight.”  We looked at each other and said YES!  So there we were, only an hour till our next flight, avoiding the coming storm and ended up getting home at 9 instead of 1 AM or even a delay overnight. 

Sometimes luck has the weirdest ways of manifesting.  Thank goodness for dumb luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment