Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thoughts on volunteerism and nonprofits from an outgoing president

As my final days draw to a close for my three-year term as president of the Phoenix Conservatory of Music, I’ve been thinking a lot about volunteerism and the people who are involved with nonprofits. What motivates people who are working professionals to give up their time and energy to a nonprofit organization?

Over the course of 5 years serving on the board of directors of PCM, I’ve encountered many people from all different walks of life: from stay-at-home moms to lawyers, from artists to engineers, from employees to entrepreneurs. The people involved come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, and that diversity is necessary for a nonprofit to thrive because it might not have the resources to hire individuals to perform the duties necessary for a normally operating business.

I look at the people I know outside of PCM and many of them have never sat on a board of directors, nor have they volunteered their time to a cause. What makes me different than my social peers?

Thinking back to my life, I reflect on how I was not one who had the greatest opportunity. I got firsthand experience in seeing the results of giving because I grew up on food stamps and free and reduced lunches. I took opportunities in clubs and organizations to do community service and that carried into adulthood. I became involved with my local blockwatch group, eventually becoming president. I served on committees for my local school district and I was later recruited to be on the board of directors for arts and music organizations. Although I had very little to give in experience and knowledge of music, I was motivated to try.

Everyone has individual motivations for giving. Some give as part of a higher calling, others may give according to a club they participate in. Some give according to hobbies or interests and others are active to follow a cause. People give according to what they are passionate about. My motivations are simpler than all of that.

Personally, I give because I can. Even though I sometimes feel like I don’t have the time, I really do when I look for it. Even though I sometimes do not believe that I have the talents an organization needs, I find out that I do when I volunteer. I see a great need and I do what I can do to help. It just means taking a deeper look at myself.

Looking back, my time spent on the receiving end of nonprofit groups highly influenced me to be active in the art of giving. As board president, I feel that it is important to understand the motivations of each board member to help further the mission of the organization. Giving is never a one way street and it requires some personal satisfaction as a return on the time the volunteers give.

Why do I give? What I love in life is to see things grow. When I see a challenge of growing an organization to its potential, that is what motivates me to give. When that potential is met, I feel my job is done so I look for new challenges. Every organization I’ve been an active part of I’ve always taken the angle of “How can we make this bigger?” For example, the block watch started with 23 homes and I expanded it to 108 homes in the neighborhood over the course of three years. I love seeing the potential and growing it and that is why I give: to grow that potential.

The final daunting question remains, “Why don’t more people volunteer?” Sure, many do not have time. I’m the last person who can say that I have time for any pursuits other than my business, but I find the time. Nonprofit organizations help fill a need, and those who have the opportunity should volunteer whether or not they’ve been the recipient of such programs. Everyone should experience being a volunteer of their time and talents.

Soon I will reflect on my past 5 years with PCM; what an amazing 5 years it was!

Sincerely,
Nai Wang
Board President of The Phoenix Conservatory of Music

No comments:

Post a Comment