Sunday, February 20, 2011

My 2 hour workshop at FENI



Teaching 60-80 teachers about social networking, I was fearful to how they would react. So many things can go wrong. With wikispaces creating controversies, teachers fired over facebook comments, the online social sphere seems to be hostile. Even thought there are so many factors I must lay their fears to rest.

My first class on social networking, which kicked off this year’s FENI (Food Educators Network International) summit was an overwhelming success. My strategy for this conference was not to just teach teachers about these tools but to create an atmosphere that encourages use of these tools. I’ve been to so many BAD teaching workshops that I felt that I can teach a good one. Putting my theories into practice and having the rubber meet the road, the attendees left the workshop not only knowing more about social networking but I gave them to tools to make it happen and apply to the classroom.

I will detail out the process of the class on another blog post since it can run on and I want to have some time to reflect.

From the reactions I got immediately after, I made an impact, opened their eyes, alleviated their fears, and gave them something concrete to take back home. People are tweeting their experiences and following what people are saying, sharing on facebook and making new friends, editing the FENI wiki and building a document. All these things are being built by the people. As the master architect, I’m proud that so many are embracing this medium and hope that this experience has enriched their conference experience.

I won’t count this as a success yet. If they take these tools and apply it to their students, then I will say that was worth my time and effort. So far so good. I see this as something that will be great for FENI.  Best conference ever?

Tonight will be the raffle using KP’s new technological whizbang drawing engine. It will be a fun night and I can’t wait to present the prize, a flip mimeo HD 4 GB 4 hour camcorder. May the best social networker win!

No comments:

Post a Comment