Monday, February 14, 2011

The Social Networking Challenge at FENI 2011: Inception

I’ve been actively investigating uses for social networking tools for the past month now so I finally decided to take my own advice and start to blog about it.

I’m a computer guru, an internet junkie, and a gadget freak. I try to use just about every new whizbang tool out there or at the very least become familiar with them. When I started this project six months ago, setting the theme for an education conference called FENI, I thought I knew a lot about social media. What I discovered was only the tip of the iceberg.

The goal this year at FENI (Food Educators Network International) was to not only spend an enriching weekend learning new cooking skills and techniques but to enrich culinary teachers with new technological tools through social networking. I was charged with the task (as a technojunkie) to make that happen. Many teachers are not behind the technological cue ball and only somewhat familiar with the tools but as they become easier to use and widely accepted as the norm, many are getting just their feet wet in this whole new world. Feet wet is not good enough and many are getting lost, with little to no guidance.

The theme this year at the 13th annual FENI summit is the world is connected. I’ve been participating at FENI for over five years now. Year after year I meet amazing educators who are dedicated to their profession and craft. I would often ask the question, “how was your class?” The responses varied from exxstatic to meh. I was frustrated because my reach was only a dozen or so teachers so the idea brewed in my head to engage teachers using existing social networking tools to create an online atmosphere of sharing. Simple task, right?

There is an abundance of tools, all taking their own angle to satisfy an audience. A few have emerged as the best of the best and through innovation, these tools are not used by the technoL33T anymore. Networking tools are great for entertainment arenas but in education it’s a trickier beast to adapt. Here at the summit I will try to teach everyone how to twitter updates, edit a group wiki, share photos on facebook, and eventually blog about their experience. I have five days till my two hour workshop, then a 15 minute primer the next day and a three hour master class on the final day.

Excited, very much so, but I’m nervous about how this challenge will be accepted. I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment