Tuesday, April 13, 2010

iPad week in review: exceeding expectations and wet dreams

iPad week in review: exceeding expectations and wet dreams.

(note, this entire review was typed in 15 minutes on the plane)

Challenge, travel and survive the week without using the laptop.

Overwhelmingly succeeded.

Results; I used my iPad to do more than I ever have when travel with a laptop, tablet, or net book. Primary reason... Ease of use and instant access. Then easy to carry. Then fast processing.

When I travel, my biggest problem is mitigating power. I usually have to travel with multiple batteries in order to make it through a day of conferences and meeting so in order to survive I would have to set my display to 10%, my processor to 5% and sleep or hibernate all the time. To use, I would have to wait for it to boot up and get started, then launch word and then I can take notes. I would never take it out to look something out or to read a PDF or document. The iPad with its 10 hour battery and instant on access completely dispels that inconvenience.

I found at I actually responded to more emails, read more documents, did more research on this device then I ever had with my powerful computer. Convenience makes us more efficient because in the fast paced digital age, we are impatient and need to be able to address things at a moment’s notice. I loved being able to take notes while the speaker is detailing out some ideas or showing off some features, and then jumping to a website to see for myself what they are talking about. I even had a case where the speaker couldn't answer a question from an attendee and called on me for the answer. Ease of use and convenience makes this a very productive tool.

Lack of multitasking hasn't hampered me much at all. When I travel I want ease of use and stability. By limiting what I can do it keeps me focused on my task at hand and doesn't over complexify my situation. I start and stop apps with ease and maintain a stable work environment. I know if I had multitasking, I would bog down my iPad to the point where it becomes ineffective as a device, which in turn I would curse at it and call it windows mobile crap.

Being so small, lightweight and easy to hold has made it so versatile that I am able to take it nearly anywhere in my shoulder bag without much hassle. When I need it I just whip it out and, turn it on and start to use it.

Reading... Amazing. Kindle will die.

Games. I find that I don't play many games on it yet. Why? I love games but I love being able to use this to read articles, browse the web, read emails, type, and watch videos that I haven't had a need to "play" games.

The future

I see devices such as the iPad to become the staple of education. The iPhone and other smart phones was a start in the right direction but with the larger screen, ease of use, stable, reliable platform it will be a totally winner in education as we move forward with providing the entire world’s information to the hands of our 21C digital learners of the future. Star Trek comes isn't far from reality as time progresses.

Conclusion

Technology only works when it becomes easy and practical to use. As did computers, laptops, cell phones, smart phones, the iPad will find its place because it's easy to use. The touch engine is key and makes it natural so any human can pick it up and start to run with it as if they were born with it in their hands.

15 minutes to compose this review on the plane. WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment