Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pocket Progression Games: Nothing but shallow fluff


Today I decided to put my iPad to something other than reading newspapers and other productivity work and try my hand a game. I downloaded a free game called Pocket Legends, a MMO that feels a lot like a miniature version of WOW. The game has a lot of depth for being free and was very fun to play with as many as 5 other players in the dungeon with capacity for more with no lag. I was actually impressed with it as I plugged away at it for over an hour and then wasted two. I was gaining XP, leveling up, placing skill points and spending my hard earned gold for health potions and the latest gear. All that gloss disappeared as I ran into their economic engine. Nothing is ever free and mobile apps are plagued with, “if you want to progress, fork over some $$$” business models. There’s nothing wrong with making money as developers, especially with such a well crafted game as PL, to get other dungeons and add on packs but I draw the line when it comes to character development.
Turning real world cash into in game gold so you can buy the best weapons and armor, only by spending money go get special enchanted weapons and armor, and the final nail in the coffin was the ability to buy an enhancement which allows you to change your stats around after you’ve allocated it. Giving players the ability to buy their way through the game just completely destroyed any value for someone to progress through the game, fight for their spoils and grow their character. In games like these, the one who’s willing to put in the most bucks wins. I for one will never cheat that way, but there is a reason why games like these are around, because everyone wants to cheat and buy their way to happiness. What a wretched shallow world we live in.



No comments:

Post a Comment